General Education Capstone – Week 2 Assignment
Social Media Pros and Cons
Assignment – Choose four social media PROS and four social media CONS from the
list below. Create a PowerPoint
presentation that details your support for the four PROS and four CONS you have
selected. Be sure to use outside sources
to support your opinions. In the end, you
will have a 10-slide PowerPoint presentation – a title slide with your name and
class, four slides for the PROS and four slides for the CONS, and a references
- Messaging on social media
sites can lead to face-to-face interactions
when plans are made via the sites.
- Social media increases voter participation
and facilitates political change.
- Social media helps reduce loneliness of senior
citizens who are socially isolated.
- Social media allows for quick diffusion of public health
and safety information during crisis events.
- The U.S. military and the
Department of Veterans Affairs use social media to help prevent suicide.
- Social media can help disarm social stigmas
like anxiety or depression.
- Crowdsourcing on social
media allows people to attain a goal,
empowering users to achieve positive change.
- Social media provides academic research
to a wider audience, allowing people access to previously inaccessible
- Social media sites can help
improve overall well-being by providing users with a large social group
creating a “contagion” effect.
- Professional networking sites like LinkedIn greatly assist companies to find personnel and job
seekers to find work.
- Social media posts cannot be entirely deleted.
- Social media can endanger
our military, journalists
- Social media use is
associated with personality and brain disorders.
- Students who are heavy
social media users tend to have lower grades.
- Social media can exacerbate
feelings of disconnect and put children at higher risk for anxiety,
depression, low self-esteem, eating disorders and even suicide.
- Criminals can use social
media to commit and promote crimes.
- Social media can be a drain on time
and use up hours that you can’t get back.
- Advertising practices of
social media sites may create an invasion of privacy.
- Social media facilitates sexting,
which can lead to revenge porn, criminal charges and a proliferation of
Hatcher, J. (2017, December 6). 20 Pros and Cons of Social Media Use. Retrieved from https://www.success.com/20-pros-and-cons-of-social-media-use/
View your assignment rubric.